Faculty off campus procedure

The University recognises that staff and students may be exposed to significant risks while travelling off-campus, both within Australia and overseas. Therefore, it is important that special procedures are followed when travelling off-campus

1. Special requirements for overseas travel: DFAT warnings

Staff or students travelling overseas for University-related purposes must:

  1. Ensure they are familiar with the University’s Overseas Travel Policy : PDF
  2. Check the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) warnings:

All decisions about whether travel to an overseas destination for University-related purposes is permitted must be based on advice from DFAT.


  • Staff and students are not normally permitted to travel to, or remain in, Category 1 countries for work or study conducted under the auspices of the University. (Exceptions may apply in limited circumstances - refer to the policy for further information).
  • If staff or students are travelling to Category 2 or 3 countries Heads of Departments must ensure that they take due note of DFAT warnings, that an appropriate risk management strategy is prepared, and that the travelling staff member or student registers with the nearest Diplomatic mission.

2. Off-campus work and travel policy

All staff and students travelling off-campus for University-related purposes must be familiar with the University’s Off-campus work and travel policy in Section 7.1 of the Environment, Health and Safety Manual.

3. Risk assessment

For all hazardous off-campus activities, a documented Risk Assessment must be carried out. See Risk Assessment 2D or 3D Model. Any questions regarding the completion of the Risk Assessment should be directed to the
Risk Management Office.

a. Consider the potential hazards on the trip, and
b. Control the hazards.

Consider, for example:

  • If driving is involved, who will be driving? Will the driving be shared? Will there be regular rest stops? Whose car will be used? Do all drivers hold current licences for that vehicle type?
  • If any international students are going off-campus, do they need to be given any extra information, e.g. hazards in country areas?
  • What level of supervision will be provided? Will there be any first aiders on the trip?
  • Do any staff members or students have medical problems?
    • There must be a system in place for the emergency management of an injured staff member or student.

4. Briefing

If students are travelling, they must be given a proper briefing well before the travel commences. The briefing must include, for example:

  • the University’s Overseas Travel Policy and DFAT warnings, if overseas travel is involved, particularly if students are going to Category 2 or 3 countries
  • the University’s Off-Campus Work and Travel Policy
  • details of the Risk Assessment and potential hazards
  • reference to the OHS policy and procedures
  • details about insurance, including the policy number and the insurance contact number

Students must be provided with written notes of the briefing, and they must sign off to say they have read them.

It may also be necessary to arrange a briefing for staff who are travelling as well.

5. Students on placements: Off-campus placement safety assessment

Prior to commencing a placement, the University needs to ensure that its students will be operating in a safe environment. To assess this situation, an Off-campus Workplace Safety Assessment form must be completed.

6. Vaccinations

Staff or students travelling overseas where vaccinations may be required should refer to the Overseas Travel Vaccination Guidelines. This form should be completed and returned to the Occupational Health Nurse at the University Health Service to determine what vaccinations may be required.

7. Insurance

Staff and students must ensure they have appropriate medical/travel insurance, and insurance for equipment taken off-campus, prior to commencing their travel. This can be arranged through the Insurance Office.

The information below is a guide only and is subject to change. Staff and students who are travelling off-campus have a responsibility for ensuring they have adequate insurance.


Staff should ensure they are familiar with the University’s Travel Insurance Information. In general, staff are covered if they are travelling for University-related purposes. However, there exclusions. For example, staff may not be covered for pre-existing injuries, nor may they be covered if they are combining some leisure travel with work-related travel. There are also time limitations. Therefore, staff should contact the Insurance Office for further details of the policy.


Staff organising travel for students, and the students themselves, should ensure they are familiar with the University’s Travel Insurance Information for Students. In general:

  • if travel within Australia is involved, the activity is an approved University trip and the students are enrolled, they are covered for travel insurance.
  • if overseas travel is involved, students are not automatically covered, and Departments are not obliged to provide insurance. However, it may be possible to arrange insurance through the Insurance Office. A ‘Student Travel Insurance’ form would need to be completed and a premium would need to be paid. Students should ensure they check what the policy covers. For example, if they will be overseas for a long period of time, e.g. several months, they may need additional cover.

Insurance for equipment taken off-campus

Staff or students taking items off-campus that are valued over $5000.00 must advise the Insurance Office by completing an off-campus form . In addition, Departments must keep at their workplace a central register of equipment going off-campus, whatever the value. In the event of loss or damage to property worth less than $5000.00, a copy of this register will need to be produced to support the claim. Departments are to ensure that staff and students taking equipment off-campus take all due care to secure the item both in transit and at the destination. If damage or loss occurs as the result of a negligent action, an excess will be applied to settlement. All transit claims involving computer equipment will be subject to 50% excess.

Contact the University Insurance Office for further details.

8. Forms/information to be submitted prior to the trip

Prior to departure, staff and students travelling off-campus must submit the following to their Department: itinerary, flight and contact details. Any changes to these details must be reported to the Department.

Departments must retain current and accurate information regarding the whereabouts and contact details of students and staff members and this information must be accessible by the University at short notice. For example, a sufficient number of staff members in a Department must know how to access the data immediately if requested by the University.

Prior to departure, staff and students are also encouraged to complete and submit to their Department a Medical Questionnaire for Off-Campus activities. However, this form is not compulsory.